Its located in a residential area at “La
Mata”,Torrevieja, at a short distance to the beach of only 100mts.
Properties are made of 1 and 2 bedrooms, and until 2 bathrooms, private
terraces ,community parking and garden, and built up on high standards
Apartments in the bush near all services, shops, restaurants, medical center.
Torrelamata or La Mata is a hamlet of Torrevieja. It limits to the north with Guardamar del Segura and to the west with the Natural Park of the Lagunas de La Mata and Torrevieja.
The locality has an important tourist dimension and a considerable number of inhabitants coming from diverse points of Europe, being to a great extent a dormitory city. Since 2010 it has a district office of the town hall of Torrevieja.1
It has several beaches with abundant sand being the most important beach of Torrelamata for its extension, which is located south of the center of the town; In the urban area there is an extension of the same with the name of the beach of the Tower of La Mata or the jetty. To the north it is integrated into the set of protected beaches of the dunes of Torrelamata and Guardamar that have abundant flora and coastal fauna.
It communicates with Torrevieja through two roads that are surrounded by urbanizations, one of them is the N-332, while the other borders the coast.
The origin of the town is related to the exploitation of the salt of the Laguna de la Mata that has been exploited for centuries, however the population was scarce and limited to a few inhabitants, among them the soldiers who were in charge of the surveillance on the jetty or in the nearby Torre del Moro. The extraction and loading of salt was seasonal, so the workers moved for that purpose. In 1759 the council of Orihuela cedes the exploitation of the salinas of the lagoon of La Mata to the crown, which began with an organized exploitation.2 Until 1802 the locality was the center of the activity of salt production, so had representation for justice and city council issues. In those dates they moved their offices to Torrevieja by real prerogative, since they began to extract salt of the homonymous lagoon.3
The town was completely destroyed by the earthquake of 1829, as well as Torrevieja and other towns in the area. Its reconstruction meant helping in the construction of 24 homes to house their neighbors.4
The town gives its name to the white wine of La Mata, with a protected designation of origin, which is made with merseguera grape according to artisan procedures. The vineyards are 100 years old, as they are not affected by the phylloxera plague that occurred in the 19th century when it was found in a sandy and arid soil. However, only 75 hectares remain inside the natural park, 5 since most of the existing surface was uprooted for the construction of urbanizations.6